TORONTO, March 21, 2018 /CNW/ - Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc. (Enbridge) has received approval from the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) for new rates, effective April 1, 2018.
Typical residential customers* who buy their gas supply from Enbridge will see a total bill decrease of about five per cent, or $49 a year. As a result, their total annual bill will be about $902.
The decrease is primarily due to lower natural gas prices in North America and lower transportation costs.
"Natural gas continues to be the most affordable and reliable choice for home and water heating in Ontario," says Dave Charleson, Vice President of Energy Supply and Customer Care at Enbridge. "Over the past five years, natural gas has been on average over 60 per cent less expensive than electricity and oil**."
Options to help manage energy bills:
- Customers can find tips to manage their energy use and current rebate and incentive programs at enbridgegas.com/energyefficiency.
- The Home Energy Conservation program allows homeowners to earn up to $5,000 for installing energy efficiency upgrades, while helping to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Learn more at enbridgesmartsavings.com.
- For qualifying customers:
- The OEB's Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) (enbridgegas.com/LEAP) provides emergency financial assistance towards past due energy bills.
- The Home Winterproofing Program helps residential customers in financial need with free home energy efficiency improvements. Qualifying customers may have free energy efficiency improvements, such as insulation, installed to reduce their energy costs. Learn more at enbridgegas.com/winterproofing.
- Customers who are having trouble paying their bills should call Enbridge as soon as possible to set up payment arrangements.
About Enbridge Gas Distribution
Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc. has a more than 165-year history and is Canada's largest natural gas distribution company. It is owned by Enbridge Inc., a Canadian-based leader in energy transportation and distribution, and has ranked as one of the Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations for the past eight years. Enbridge Gas Distribution distributes natural gas to over two million customers in Ontario.
*Calculations are based on the assumption that typical residential customers, who buy their gas supply and transportation from Enbridge, use about 2,400 cubic metres of natural gas a year for home and water heating.
**Natural gas rates are based on Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc.'s residential rates effective April 1, 2018. Electricity rates are based on Toronto Hydro's Ontario Energy Board approved rates up to and including those effective January 1, 2018. Oil prices are based on publicly posted Statistics Canada historical prices up to and including rates available as of January 2018. Costs have been calculated for the equivalent energy consumed by a typical residential customer and include all service, delivery and energy charges. HST is not included.
For more information contact:
Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc.
SOURCE Enbridge Gas Distribution