TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - May 27, 2016) - Natural Resources Canada awarded Enbridge Gas Distribution the "Industry Partner of the Year Award - New Homes" at an awards ceremony in Winnipeg on Tuesday. The ENERGY STAR Canada award event recognizes participants who have demonstrated excellence in promoting energy efficiency in their own operations and to their customers.
In 2015, Enbridge Gas Distribution's Savings by Design program helped support ENERGY STAR by providing $1.1 million in incentives to builders for new homes that are 25 per cent more energy efficient than the 2012 Ontario Building Code requires. Enbridge also supported vital ENERGY STAR program initiatives through a funding partnership with EnerQuality for activities such as managing incentives, builder training and workshops, events and stakeholder engagement. Enbridge's efforts culminated with 604 homes being labelled as ENERGY STAR qualified homes in 2015.
Canada's Minister of Natural Resources, the Honourable Jim Carr, was present at the award ceremony and congratulated Enbridge Gas Distribution on their ENERGY STAR Canada award saying, "I thank them for their extraordinary leadership and sustained commitment to the ENERGY STAR Initiative, which helps Canadians make responsible, energy-efficient choices."
Enbridge and Energy Efficiency - Quick Facts
- Enbridge is a leader in conservation -- between 1995 and 2014, Enbridge programs helped to remove 18 mega tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions -- the equivalent of taking about 3.5 million cars off the road for a year.
- Enbridge programs include:
- Building design support and incentives to help builders exceed building code by 25 per cent.
- Full time energy consultants and engineers to help organizations improve the energy efficiency of their facilities and processes.
- Energy audits and incentives for residential customers to improve energy efficiency of their homes.
About Enbridge Gas Distribution
Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc. has a more than 165-year history and is Canada's largest natural gas distribution company. It is owned by Enbridge Inc., a Canadian-based leader in energy transportation and distribution. Enbridge has ranked as one of the Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations for the past seven years and was also named as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2015. Enbridge Gas Distribution and its affiliates distribute natural gas to over two million customers in Ontario, Quebec, New York State and New Brunswick. For more information, visit enbridgegas.com or follow us on Twitter @EnbridgeGasNews.
For more information please contact:
Manager, External Communications