TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - March 24, 2016) - Environment Canada warns that combinations of snow, ice and freezing rain will continue through the day. Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc. (Enbridge) is reminding customers to clear the snow and ice off their natural gas meter and appliance exhaust vents.
Natural gas meter sets should be kept free of ice and significant snow accumulation. Appliance vents, if plugged by ice or snow, can cause an appliance to malfunction. This can be a serious safety hazard.
Enbridge has the following safety tips and precautions:
- Don't use sharp objects or force, such as kicking or hitting, to clear the snow or ice as this can cause damage.
- Never use salt, hot water or ice melting chemicals to remove snow or ice.
- Never pile snow against gas equipment or appliance vents.
- Don't let snow or ice block vents - this could cause dangerous carbon monoxide to buildup indoors.
- Be careful when using a shovel, plow or snow blower near natural gas equipment or appliance vents.
For assistance with clearing a blocked appliance vent, customers should contact a registered contractor. A list is available on the website at EnbridgeGas.com/FindContractor.
About Enbridge Gas Distribution
Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc. has a more than 165-year history and is Canada's largest natural gas distribution company. It is owned by Enbridge Inc., a Canadian-based leader in energy transportation and distribution. Enbridge has ranked as one of the Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations for the past seven years and was also named as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2015. Enbridge Gas Distribution and its affiliates distribute natural gas to over two million customers in Ontario, Quebec, New York State and New Brunswick. For more information, visit www.enbridgegas.com or follow us on Twitter @EnbridgeGasNews.
For more information please contact:
Manager, Media Relations