TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - March 23, 2016) - Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc. (Enbridge) has received approval from the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) for new rates, effective April 1, 2016. These rates are approved on an interim basis.
Typical residential customers* who buy their gas supply from Enbridge will see a total bill increase of about three per cent or $23 a year. As a result, their total bill will be about $861 a year. While natural gas prices have decreased in North America, the Cost Adjustment charge has increased. The Cost Adjustment charge reflects the difference between our forecast costs and actual costs from prior periods. Natural gas continues to provide the best value to our customers, with the typical customer's total annual bill still less than it was 10 years ago.
"Even with these changes, natural gas remains the most economical choice for heating your home and water in Ontario." says Jamie LeBlanc, Director of Energy Supply and Policy at Enbridge. "In the last five years, natural gas has been on average over 63 per cent less expensive than electricity and oil."**
Enbridge submits rate adjustment applications every three months to reflect changes in the market price of natural gas and transportation services. The applications are reviewed and approved by the OEB.
For more information on how natural gas rates are set, watch our video.
Enbridge reminds customers that there are options to help manage energy bills:
- Customers can find energy efficiency tips at enbridgegas.com/energyefficiency.
- Customers who have signed up for myEnbridge can now access their personalized My Home Health Record, which provides natural gas consumption comparisons to similar homes, along with energy saving tips and advice.
- Customers can register for myEnbridge at enbridgegas.com/myenbridge
- For qualifying customers:
- The OEB's Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) provides emergency financial assistance towards past due energy bills. Learn more about LEAP at enbridgegas.com/LEAP.
- The Home Winterproofing Program helps residential customers in financial need with free home energy efficiency improvements. Qualifying customers may have free energy efficiency improvements, such as insulation, installed to reduce their energy costs. Learn more at enbridgegas.com/winterproofing.
- Customers who are having trouble paying their bills should call Enbridge as soon as possible to set up payment arrangements.
About Enbridge Gas Distribution
Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc. has a more than 165-year history and is Canada's largest natural gas distribution company. It is owned by Enbridge Inc., a Canadian-based leader in energy transportation and distribution. Enbridge has ranked as one of the Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations for the past seven years and was also named as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2015. Enbridge Gas Distribution and its affiliates distribute natural gas to over two million customers in Ontario, Quebec, New York State and New Brunswick. For more information, visit www.enbridgegas.com or follow us on Twitter @EnbridgeGasNews.
*Calculations are based on the assumption that typical residential customers, who buy their gas supply and transportation from Enbridge, use about 2,400 cubic metres of natural gas a year for home and water heating.
**Natural gas rates are based on Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc.'s residential rates effective April 1, 2016. Electricity rates are based on Toronto Hydro's Ontario Energy Board approved rates up to and including those effective January 1, 2016. Oil prices are based on publicly posted Statistics Canada historical prices up to and including rates available as of February 2016. Costs have been calculated for the equivalent energy consumed by a typical residential customer and include all service, delivery and energy charges. HST is not included.
For more information please contact:
Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc.