TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - March 10, 2015) -
Editors Note: There is a video associated with this press release.
Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc. (Enbridge) has applied to the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) to decrease its rates effective April 1, 2015. Enbridge submits rate adjustment applications every three months, and they are reviewed and approved by the OEB.
If approved, typical residential customers* who buy their gas supply from Enbridge will see a total bill decrease of about 10 per cent or about $100 a year. As a result, their total bill will be about $934 a year. Natural gas continues to provide the best value to customers, with the typical customer's total annual bill still less than it was 10 years ago.
Jamie LeBlanc, Director of Energy Supply and Policy at Enbridge, says that despite the cold winter, natural gas supply costs remained relatively stable this winter. "The decrease is due to lower natural gas prices. Gas supply costs are passed through to customers without any mark-up - they pay what we pay."
For more information on how natural gas rates are set, visit: http://youtu.be/TQQDo63UBKc
Enbridge reminds customers that there are options to help manage energy bills:
- For qualifying customers:
- Enbridge funds the OEB's Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) which provides emergency financial assistance towards past due energy bills.
- The Home Winterproofing Program helps eligible low-income customers lower their energy costs and make their homes healthier and more energy efficient. Qualifying customers may have free energy efficiency upgrades, such as insulation, installed to reduce their energy costs. Learn more at www.enbridgegas.com/winterproofing.
- Customers who are having trouble paying their bills should call Enbridge as soon as possible to set up payment arrangements.
- Customers can find more energy efficiency tips at www.enbridgegas.com/energyefficiency.
- Customers who have signed up for myEnbridge can now access their personalized My Home Health Record, which provides natural gas consumption comparisons to similar homes, along with energy saving tips and advice. Customers can register for myEnbridge at www.enbridgegas.com/myenbridge
- The Home Health Record can be found at https://www.enbridgegas.com/AU/MyOPower.aspx?au=y
About Enbridge Gas Distribution
Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc. has a more than 160-year history and is Canada's largest natural gas distribution company. It is owned by Enbridge Inc., a Canadian-based leader in energy transportation and distribution and one of the 2013 Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations. Enbridge Inc. has been selected as one of Canada's Greenest Employers for 2013 and is one of Canada's Top 100 Employers. Enbridge Gas Distribution and its affiliates distribute natural gas to two million customers in Ontario, Quebec, New York State and New Brunswick. For more information, visit www.enbridgegas.com or follow us on Twitter @EnbridgeGasNews.
* Calculations are based on the assumption that typical residential customers, who buy their gas supply and transportation from Enbridge, uses about 2,400 cubic metres of natural gas a year for home and water heating.
For more information please contact:
Manager, Media Relations