TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Jan. 28, 2009) - To operate safely and efficiently, natural gas meters, pressure regulators and appliance exhaust vents should be kept free of snow and ice.
Enbridge Gas Distribution (TSX:ENB) (NYSE:ENB) reminds customers to take the following steps this winter:
- regularly check your natural gas meter, pressure regulator and appliance exhaust vents to ensure they are clear of snow and ice;
- don't pile snow against gas equipment or appliance vents;
- use extra caution when using a shovel, plow or snow blower near gas equipment or appliance vents;
- use a broom or car brush to gently clear snow or ice around the natural gas meter and appliance vents; and,
- keep eavestroughs in good repair and fix leaky seams in or around downspouts to prevent water from dripping on gas equipment and appliance vents.
Do not use sharp objects or force, such as kicking or hitting, to remove the snow or ice from natural gas meters, regulators or appliance vents.
If assistance is required to clear a blocked appliance vent, you should contact your heating contractor. If you do not have one, you can look one up in the yellow pages under Heating Contractors.
If snow or ice build-up on natural gas meters and regulators cannot be gently removed with a broom or car brush, call Enbridge Gas Distribution for assistance at 1-877-Enbridge (362-7434).
Enbridge Gas Distribution has a 160-year history and is Canada's largest natural gas distribution company. Enbridge Gas Distribution is owned by Enbridge Inc., a Canadian-based leader in energy transportation and distribution. Enbridge Gas Distribution and its affiliates distribute natural gas to about 1.9 million customers in Ontario, New York State, New Brunswick and southwestern Quebec.
For more information please contact:
Enbridge Gas Distribution